Welcome

Welcome to the home of the official Vegemite Ambassador travel blog. A chronicle of mildly amusing journeys.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ahoj!

Jak se mate!

This entry comes from the quaint, medieval town of Cesky Krumlov. I believe the name translates roughly to "town of quintessential ye olde awesomeness". It is like a little fairytale kingdom, small houses all aligned along one main cobbled street which winds with the river around a big castle and cathedral in the middle. It is amazing that something so fictional and cliched like this can exist.

It is absolutely the panacea to the crowds of London and Prague and as icing on the cake you can even hire a tyre tube and float along the river while drinking a beer. Beautiful.

Krumlov's cobbled streets are home to all sorts of weird and wonderful bars and restaurants, though perhaps the most quirky is the Horror Bar. A 400 year old cellar lined with candles, skulls, coffins and a bar serving all sorts of colourful concoctions. It was straight out of a B-Grade horror flick and consequently I was expecting the door to be shut at midnight locking the tourists in for the locals to feed on.

On that note, a local proudly informed that part of the movie "Hostel" was filmed in this town. I'm not so sure they have actually seen this movie. Personally I'd be keeping that on the down low if I were them.

At this point I'd like to digress a little and talk about my fake wallet. It sits in my back pocket and is made of leather; it looks like it should and would hold things worth stealing. My theory is that the thief will identify this easy target and ignore my real, decrepit looking travel wallet wedged uncomfortably in the front of my pants.

I have heard all sorts of great things about Europe's amazing light-fingered population, being home to the best pick-pocketiers in the world. I was expecting my fake wallet to not even last this long, but it has. It is becoming somewhat of a joke that I couldn't have this thing stolen no matter how much I tried.

Challenge accepted.

Anyway, again this entry is short and sweet. I am still trying to get into the blogging groove and it can be quite a challenge to find the time in a packed itinerary. I'll end on some practical and very basic travel tips on how to look like a tourist and guarantee yourself a pick pocketing and inflated prices everywhere you go.

1. Wear a really brightly coloured shirt.

2. Drape a MASSIVE camera around your neck, it must have at least five separate lens attachments.

3. Buy a local hat with a catchy phrase like "CZECH ME OUT"

4. When you speak to anyone, always assume they speak English. If they don't understand, shout the words louder until they understand English afterall.

3 comments:

The Idiot Wrangler said...

Vienna! NOOOOOOO!!! Vienna is where cameras go to be stolen!

Awesome pics by the way, loved Ye Olde Cock... What do they serve there that's nine inches?

Stay safe, watch out for gypsies, and GUARD YOUR CAMERA... Might also be wise to backup all your images before you arrive in Vienna...

MaiStar said...

Hey Adam and Renee, sounds like you guys are having a blast! I am loving ur blog. I hear the Austrian capital is not all that exciting, but hey who I am to judge back here at home but sooo jealous of your trip. Keep the updates coming!!

Georgina said...

ello ello! i am still chuckling, i would've loved to have been there for the faux pas with the local language - always guaranteed to make you friends!
I wonder if you are going bike riding in the tulip fields....? Keep spreading that aussie love
x me